Raving about makeup, skincare, hair and other little obsessions... A Beauty Blog

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Looking Naturally Pretty with Rimmel: Review & Swatches

I recently tested out three Rimmel London products. Read on for review, swatches and a how-to on achieving a "naturally pretty" look!


Rimmel London 9-in1 BB Cream SPF 25
Claims: It primes skin, moisturises, minimises the appearance of pores, helps protect against environmental damage, conceals, covers, smoothes, mattifies and brightens.
RRP: AUD$12.95
Packaging: 5 out of 5
Review: I truly am impressed with this BB cream. At first, I thought its claims of being able to 9 things was just a marketing gimmick but I quickly discovered that I was wrong. Its texture is very much similar to most primers and it has a matte finish. Most BB creams are light coverage. This one can be built to medium. I find its coverage so good that I don't apply any foundation or concealer over it.

This product makes my face look flawless. The only thing that doesn't completely work for me is that it's pink-based. I need a yellow-based version. Other than that, I'm very happy with this BB cream. It has simplified my makeup application process by a lot. It's the epitome of a multitasking product!



I know it doesn't appear very pink in this photo but when I apply it onto my face, the contrast is quite stark. I think this is a really good shade for many Caucasian women.



Rimmel London Stay Matte Pressed Powder
Claims: Goes on smooth to even out skintone. Offers a natural, matte finish.
RRP: AUD$12.95
Packaging: 4.5 out of 5
Review: Tanya Burr raves about this powder a lot. I've noticed that this is also a favourite amongst other Youtubers. I was really keen to test out this product and I'm happy to report that it is worth the hype. Well, first off, it's really affordable for a "hyped product". Secondly, it does what it says! My skin does not look like it has been powdered with this product. It helps keep foundation/BB cream on, making them last longer. My housemate tested this product out as well. She has oilier skin than I do. She also used a foundation that's poor at keeping oils at bay to test this product out. She was very impressed. This powder was able to keep oils from surfacing and made her foundation last longer.

I really like using this powder with the BB cream (above) because it is more yellow-toned, matching it to the rest of my body. The only reason I gave the packaging a 4.5 is the screw plastic cap. When I am in the hurry in the morning and my hands are covered in BB cream residue. It's a bit difficult to grab hold of the cap and unscrew. It would have been nice if they made it a flip top. But I think if they did, the price would have been compromised.



I hope you can see the swatch!



Rimmel London Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal Eyeliner
Claims: Glides on easily and precisely for a flawless, defined line. Its soft and creamy formula also boasts rich pigments to make sure that colour is sleek and stays put.
RRP: AUD$9.95
Packaging: 5 out of 5
Review: In my opinion, this is the most luxe-looking "drugstore" eyeliner that I've ever come across so far. It's creamy and glides on smoothly as promised. It's not soft to the point where it breaks apart upon applying pressure. The Nude shade is the perfect waterline colour. I've tried white and pale pink eyeliners and they look fake on my waterline. This eyeliner subtly opens up my eyes but makes a huge difference to my entire appearance.

The one thing that it has not managed to achieve was to stay put on my waterline for more than an hour or two. It's okay though. It's understandable. Eyeliners fade very fast on my waterline. The only thing that has remotely stayed was a waterproof gel liner. I think I am so happy with the colour that it has compensated for the fact that it has poor lasting power on my waterline. I can't wait to get my hands on other colours and it try them on my lids.




Now, on to the mini tutorial! This is for those who are time poor in the morning.


1. Apply the BB cream all over your face and some down your neck with your hands.
2. Using a brush, apply the Stay Matte Powder onto your T-zone and pat some onto your cheeks last so that the powder is least concentrated there.
3. Curl your lashes.
4. Apply mascara if you have the time (I tend to be slow with this step).
5. Draw the Kohl Kajal Eyeliner in Nude onto your waterline.
6. Apply some lip balm.

Done! You're out the door within 5 minutes looking naturally pretty!

Have you used any of these products? What do you think of it/them?

4 comments:

  1. Great post :) I'm glad that BB cream worked for you. I've tried it and the colouring of the lightest shade was a tad to orange for my skintone. Damn! Love the Stay Matte and the Kohl though both are everyday essentials for me.

    Sarah
    morethanadored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! :) Aww, that's too bad. :/

      Delete
  2. ohhh I'm keen to try that Rimmel kohl pencil! I've written it on my wish list :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, you look so pretty! I have that BB cream but have yet to try it...seems to be mixed reviews about it!

    ReplyDelete