Raving about makeup, skincare, hair and other little obsessions... A Beauty Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pink on the Lips... and Cheeks!

It's the last day of September and tomorrow marks the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I've decided to set myself a challenge to wear pink on my lips every day, whenever I'm out and about, for the month of October. Why? To raise awareness and to keep reminding people of this debilitating disease is still very much prevalent in our society.

Source: makeupfrwomen.blogspot.com
I don't want to bombard you with all the facts and figures because I necessarily agree with the ones that are commonly preached to us. This may come across as a surprise to you but (at this point) I am skeptical of mammograms. Yes, I agree that early detection is without a doubt vital but I believe that we need to develop better techniques to test for breast cancer. Both my parents are health care professionals (HCPs) and in a few years time I will be one as well. My parents have spoken with some HCPs, with their field of interest being breast cancer, who feel that women who have mammograms done annually are more likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer. We're speculating that mammograms may actually be contributing to high occurrence of breast cancer. In simple terms, it emits very high radiation, which damages cells. For a better understanding, I encourage you to read this article. This is not an airy-fairy conspiracy theory. It is backed up by studies and research.

Source: lebeautesalon.com.au
I know this goes against what cancer councils and majority of doctors say. I can tell you now that I am with the minority and I am against mammograms. My lecturer has sung praises for mammograms but I think that there is still much to be desired. Better diagnostic techniques need to be developed and this will hopefully come with more research. So in October, I am going to combine my love for beauty with my contribution to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. I am going to purchase a Pink Product, in addition to wearing pink on my lips every day. No prize for guessing which one I'm going to purchase!

Bobbi Brown's Pink Peony Set! Bobbi Brown will donate $14 for every one these sets sold.

Source: nbcf.org.au

So I guess I will actually be pink on the lips and cheeks for the month of October! 

What will you be doing for Breast Cancer Awareness Month? Do share!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I will be trying to wear pink something everyday for october. Lipstick is probably the easiest. Thanks for the fantastic post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And you're welcome. Glad you liked it. :)

      Delete