Raving about makeup, skincare, hair and other little obsessions... A Beauty Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wicked Wednesday: Sigma Brushes

It's been a while since I posted about a haul. Well, that's because it's been a while since I had a realy haul! So I ordered some makeup brushes from Sigma at the end of March and it arrived a week ago. I know what you're thinking and I can hear a loud gasp or tsk from you already. I bought something online! Well, if you must know, I did this prior to my buy-from-local-stores-vow.


I purchased an Angled top Kabuki brush (F84), an Eye Shading brush (E55) and a Small Tapered Blending brush (E45). I shared the shipping cost with a friend who bought a stippling brush. I also used the March discount code for 10% off. Anyway, the purchase came with a gift: a small blending brush (E25). I have yet to try them out yet but running my fingers through the bristles, I'm only truly impressed with the Kabuki brush. The others are a bit disappointing for me. So far, I've washed them, as recommended by Sigma and the tapered blending brush has been shedding a fair bit (before and after the wash). From one look, you don't think it's a good quality brush at all. The shading brush has been shedding a bit as well. It has hairs sticking out here and there. Not only does it look ugly and of lower quality, those hairs are bound to come off: more shedding. The small blending brush has completely lost its shape after the wash, with a lot of hairs sticking out.

These are of lower quality to me because I've been using Bobbi Brown, Benefit and Urban Decay brushes and they are of high quality. They've either shedded only one hair or never sheded before. They always go back to their original shape after every wash (yes, I do know how to wash brushes, in case you think I don't). I bought the Kabuki brush based on Jen's (frmheadtotoe.com) recommendation. There hasn't been any shedding and it looks and feels like a good quality brush. It maintained its shape after the wash.

Since this is just my first impression, I will update my review on these brushes somewhere down the line. I guess you get what you pay for. You buy cheap, you get cheap. I probably won't be buying any more items from Sigma. I rather take my money to MAC, Bobbi Brown, Benefit and Urban Decay. You could say that I'm fussy and you're right. Others might be really happy with Sigma brushes but that's them. Unfortunately, I have high standards when it comes to things that I buy. 

Summary:
  • Happy with F84, Kabuki brush.
  • Not impressed with E55, E45, E25. 
  • You get what you pay for.
It's ANZAC Day today. What is everyone up to? Do you commemorate the ANZACs in any special way? Comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment