Raving about makeup, skincare, hair and other little obsessions... A Beauty Blog

Friday, April 17, 2009

Sing, Laugh and Talk

PCGHS was, and still is, the best Chinese girls school in our state. It's notorious for its crazy rules but well-known for great exam results. Our hair are to be no longer than 5 centimetres down from our earlobes. They measure our hair every week with a tape! The face of our watches must not be bigger than a 50 cent coin. We're not allowed to bring combs or hairbrushes, CDs, any pictures of the opposite sex or any paper than contains song lyric or anime pictures. We have a book of these asinine rules that we have to memorise because we tested on them during the first and third term exams. I could prattle on about rules but I think I'd be a waste of time.

So, that was one of the worst memories I have of that school. Despite all that, my three years at PCGHS were the three of the best years of my life. It's all thanks to my four best friends: Christina, Megan, Myra and Jessica. I've known Chris and Megan, the two inseparable best friends, since primary school. Although I didn't get along extremely well with them up till second year of high school, I have to say that our differences have taught me a lot of things. Chris's and Megan's frankness helped me correct myself and eliminate my short-comings. They are the wittiest people I've ever known and I believe that some of their wits have rubbed off on me.

I sort of met Myra before but we never talked to each other because we were from different primary schools. We were put in the same form class for three years. During the first year, I had many different best friends. They came and went, leaving both good and bad memories. It wasn't until near the end of the year that the friendship bond between me and Myra really strengthened. We were the girls who spoke good English and we constantly impressed the teacher and class with our fluent dialogues. Besides that, Myra taught me to love music. I was never really into music until she introduced pop and rock songs to me. She also recommended good chick flicks, ones that I'll always love watching.

Then came, Jess, who I don't know very well because I was never in the same class as her. And yet, we managed to hit it off. Like Myra, who she was best friends with since primary school, she has great taste in music and movies. She never cease to amaze me with her beautiful and mellifluous singing voice. She's a natural at singing and I always will envy her.

It was during the second year of high school that the five of us really came together as sort of a gang. I was somewhat the medium that brought Chris and Megan, Myra and Jess together. Being in the same class as Chris, Megan and Myra meant a lot of laughs and fun. We'd sing, laugh and talk our way through the school hours. Myra and I amused our classmates by performing a funny but not very pleasant to the ears version of High School Musical Soundtracks. It was a very "in" thing to able to sing HSM songs back then. We had a fun time teaching Megan how to sing and act lady-like. Chris was simply the best at laughing and pulling sneaky tricks.

Chris, Myra, Jess and I worked, at the school book/uniform shop before class and during recess. During our duty sessions, we'd sing when there are no customers or chat endlessly about the latest cycle of America's Next Top Model or about hot guys like Wentworth Miller. Occasionally, we'd smuggle food into our station and eat whilst the teacher was on duty was not there yet. Then, we'd put on the most innocent face as possible when we got caught.

Those three years went too quickly for me, both the good and bad times. Now, Megan has replaced me at the shop. The four of them are the top committee members of the co-operation. Whilst my life changed drastically during and after migrating to another country, their routine has not changed too much. They continue to sing, laugh and talk like we used to, except without me in the picture. However, I'm still grateful for the three years that I got to spend with these very special people.

This was submitted for a 17 Again writing competition titled "High School Flashback". Let me know what you think of it. ^^



Awesome movie! A must-watch! Two thumbs up from me!!

"When I met your mom-" Mike (Zac Efron)
"My mom?" Alex (Sterling Knight)
"Uh... Is your mom hot?" Mike (Zac Efron)




No comments:

Post a Comment